Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Miscarriage and Logans Birthday


Saturday marks an important yet sad day. December 21st 2005 (Saras birthday) I found out we were pregnant for the second time. February 20th, 2006 we went to the doctor for a three month checkup and ultrasound. The ultrasound showed we had miscarried. I was so devastated all I could do was cry. I had a D&C on February
21st. We requested genetic testing on the baby to see what had happened. Our doctor told us the baby had passed around 8 weeks. They called and asked us to come in to discuss the results of the testing and I remember thinking this can't be good. It turned out that our baby was a boy and he had something called triploidy. Triploidy is a rare lethal chromosome abnormality caused by the presence of an entire extra set of chromosomes. A fetus with triploidy has 69 chromosomes, rather than 46. It is fatal and results in miscarriage. Sometimes a child is born with it but dies very soon after birth. There was one rare case where the child lived to ten and a half months. There are so many deformities and complications that the baby just can't survive.

I was so upset, shocked and sad. Our poor baby would have died anyway. We didn't get to meet him or hold him. The only comfort is knowing that God took him to heaven so he would not have to suffer. I remember wondering what was wrong with me? Why can't I have "normal" babies? Will my husband still love me and want to be with me if I can't give him children? Will I ever have a baby without problems?

We decided to stay off the pill and let whatever happened be up to God. June 21st 2006 I found out we were pregnant again. I was surprised not expecting it to happen again so soon! I worried the entire time and even worried something may be wrong with the baby several months after he was born. The pregnancy went great and ironically, February 21st 2007 I had another surgery.....a c section to deliver our perfect, wonderful, beautiful, healthy baby boy, Logan.

It is hard to believe my "baby" will be three years old Sunday. Time has flown by so fast. I can still remember him being a tiny newborn like it was yesterday! He is potty trained now yay! He says and does the most amazing things and he is so smart he amazes us everyday. Happy Birthday my baby boy! You bring us such joy and love.

We probably spoil Logan too much. He is the child we never thought we could have. Don't get me wrong, We love Sara so very much no matter what problems she has. She is a sweet blessing for us and I adore her! We just didn't think we would be able to see a child of ours walk, talk, run, play do all the normal things other parents take for granted. He drives us crazy sometimes! But he is so wonderful. We named him Logan Matthew. Matthew means gift of God. He truly is a gift from God.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story... I don't know how you handle the things that you do. You are such a strong person and I admire you so much. You are a wonderful mother and an excellent advocate for Rett Syndrome. Your blog had me in tears. I'm so sorry that you have had to go through so much in your life. Your children are beautiful and so are you! They are so blessed to have you for a mommy. :)
    Love you!
    Marthy

    ReplyDelete